Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Knit vrs. Crochet

So when I first started with fiber arts I picked up knitting because my mom only knew how to knit and she taught me what she knew.  I took those skills, hit Youtube and learned more.  But it took so long to knit something that I only would knit small things like doll clothing.  In watching crochet videos I felt crochet would go come together faster.  So I wanted to learn crochet and finally self taught myself how to do it.  I’m still working out some kinks, but I grew to love crochet.  I wanted to learn how to do it to create amigurumi.  Which so far I am doing pretty well.  I want to make some patterns to sell soon, and felt I would put knitting on the back burner because I hadn’t seen many nice looking knit amigurumi so I would put off knitting for a while and focus on crochet.  Then I found some cute knit patterns and saw some amigurumi patterns were nicer looking in knit than crochet and then decided I wanted to do both knit and crochet patterns for amigurumi.  But this still left me not using the full potential of knitting and crochet.

So after reading some awesome blogs were people knit nice looking things for themselves that didn’t look like big sacks on them, I decided to relook at knitting and crocheting for myself and one of the patterns that came across my way was the Bernat Wrap-ghan.  It’s a free pattern on the website that you can download.  It’s just basically a knit or crochet Snuggie.  Now, with crochet I imagine that it would come together pretty fast, while with knit it would take longer.  But knit looks better than crochet in my book.  Take a look below.  The blue one is knit and red one is crochet.

It just looks nicer to me in knit.  But the crochet has a nice quilted look.  So I was trying to think which one would I do if I chose to do one?  I have a Snuggie that I got for free by playing games on Bing.  I LOVE my Snuggie.  I was thinking maybe I should make one of each and call it a day.  I would like to try them both to see how fast each one comes together and see how strong they are structurally.  It is interesting to see how different the two look from each other.  Which do you like better?  Knit or crochet?  I’m still on the fence.  But I am having awesome visions of lush yarns being made into a warm and snuggly Snuggie.  Smile  Can’t wait to do some yarn shopping for that.  Smile  A girl can dream.  Smile

Loves ya,
Mouse

0 comments:

Post a Comment